From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] ARLIS list posting concerns

Dear Librarians.
Yesterday I sent a post about a new book from Memory Press and 2 exhibits some of my work is in. Because the post was announcing a new book it was deemed commercial by ARLIS rules and could not be posted.

This year I was originally signed up to go to the ARLIS conference in DC, but because of a personal injury I had to cancel. The post seemed to me the best way to reach librarians that may have visited me at the Conference, not to just look at my work, but to say hello and reconnect.

Last week I read Gregg Most's post, and I was baffled by it - not truly understanding why an artist like myself cannot post a new book to the list. I support ARLIS, am a member, and yet I am denied privileges. I am sure that librarians want this information, even if they do not intend to buy a work. There are other reasons for knowing when a new artist book is published - for possible exhibits, for research, for students and patrons in a public or academic library that are doing research for papers, for reviewers, etc.

I would appreciate a discussion of this topic by both librarians and other artists. Independent artists like myself are not large firms, at most I create one new book a year. We do not bombard constant information to the list and I do not understand this censoring of information. The post did not have any dollars amount attached to it and was asking for reviews and comments. I value librarians and other artists giving me comment on my work. As an artist I work in isolation, and getting critical responses is invaluable to any artist.

Thank you
Maria

Maria G Pisano
Memory Press
MGP Studio Arts
www.mariagpisano.com<http://www.mariagpisano.com>
Curator: Book As Witness: The Artist's Response

Mail submissions to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/join.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.arlisna.org Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>