Hi All,

I have a stumper (at least for me) that I was wondering if you all could help me with. Here is the email I received:

I have an old (1971) "Traveler's Guide to Jewish Landmarks of Europe," and it says, "The Church of St. Francis, built in the mid-thirteenth century, has a Star of David worked into the motif on the church altar. Apparently the artisans who carved the altar were  Jews. During World War II the Germans asked questions about it, but were assured that it had no political significance." My question is: did this altar survive the 1997 earthquakes, and if it did not, was it restored as it was formerly, with the Star of David motif?

We have a few books on the Basilica, but nothing that addresses this topic.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Katie Bishop
Humanities & Fine Arts Librarian