Thank you to the several people who replied with ideas that they find useful in their settings.  Here is a compilation of their messages:

·         Not exactly a sign, but I couldn't resist. Hope you might find it amusing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzbDdgWiaS0

·         I saw great signs at the FIDM library at the ARLIS/NA conference in Pasadena last year… they simply said, “Please let FIDM staff reshelve the books”.   I think this gives it a positive spin, and is simple and direct.

·         Don’t worry; we’ll clean up after you.

Please don’t reshelf Library materials.

·         Our signage just simply says ‘Please Do Not Reshelve Books’ on silver metal tented plates. We place these on each table in the reading room, and also along our card catalogue and periodical shelves which are near our compact shelving. I’d also like to place them on the actual stacks, however, this goes against the aesthetics of the building so we’re unable to place them there. Our current signage works fairly well, but I do find patrons wanting to put things back every so often.

·         Ours say in LARGE font, “Please do not re-shelve books” and below in smaller font “please place them on a shelving cart or return them to the circulation desk.”  We have them fixed on every-other end panel of our stacks.

·         We have a pretty simple sign.  It says, “Please Do Not RE-Shelve Library Books.  Place Them Here.  Thanks You!”  It is on the wall above the shelf where we want people to place the books.  It is not 100% effective but it helps; I still see people re-shelving sometimes.

·         HELP US by leaving your books on the tables or designated carts

·         Our signs (on the ends of every other row of our open stacks) say: Do not reshelve books.  Please use booktrucks.  Book trucks are placed at the end of some of the rows.  We also ask new patrons to leave books on tables or book trucks, or return to the reference desk when they are through (we run in-house returns on anything we can).

Susan Ferrer-Vinent
Librarian

Frederick Mayer Library

Denver Art Museum
100 W. 14th Avenue Parkway
Denver, CO 80204

Visit
www.denverartmuseum.org and subscribe to our e-newsletter. The Denver Art Museum salutes the citizens of metro Denver for helping fund arts, culture and science through their support of the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD).