Hello Heather,

Our administration building and the library moved from one building into another on 17 March 2014.  In the fall of 2012 we all thought that there would have to be a temporary, interim move but that plan was cancelled.  Now 3 weeks after our permanent move,  the library is still in the process of shelf range labels, shelving, checking things out, etc.  It has all been difficult.

In 2012 I got a quote for a library planner and asked administration to hire them.  That request was denied.  Therefore I had to read books, articles, etc. to do my own library planning and move planning.  Also I had to do all the negotiations with administration about final library plans.  As I said above, It has all been difficult.

I am a part-time solo librarian.  Doing all the planning resulted in my regular duties/tasks being often put on hold.  That was bad for the progress of the library.  If your administration supports the idea, I think that hiring a library planner/move planner is essential.  Colorado State Library recommended Group3 Planners; here is their website: http://www.group3planners.com/

Good luck,

Susan

Susan Ferrer-Vinent
Librarian

Frederick Mayer Library

Denver Art Museum
100 W. 14th Avenue Parkway
Denver, CO 80204

Visit
www.denverartmuseum.org and subscribe to our e-newsletter. The Denver Art Museum salutes the citizens of metro Denver for helping fund arts, culture and science through their support of the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD).