ARLIS-L members,

Recently US House of Representatives Budget Committee Chair Paul Ryan issued a proposed budget whose provisions include elimination of IMLS.  Read more about this at: http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2014/04/legislation/ryans-proposed-2015-budget-would-eliminate-imls/

If this part of the budget proposal raises concerns, take action through a “We the People” petition posted April 3, 2014.  100,000 signatures are needed by May 3, 2014 to ensure that the White House will respond to the petition.

You can sign the petition at:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/release-statement-funding-libraries-and-museums-core-federal-responsibility/6g1tTXHv

If you do not already have an account to sign We the People petitions, you will have to create an account in order to sign.

The petition states:

 we petition the obama administration to:

Release a statement that funding libraries and museums is a core federal responsibility.

The current proposed House Budget says "The Federal Institute of Museum and Library Services is an independent agency that makes grants to museums and libraries. This is not a core federal responsibility". We would like the White House Administration to release a statement that having an informed and literate citizenry and protecting cultural heritage are priorities for the administration and that funding institutions that contribute to this work is indeed a core federal responsibility.

Created: Apr 03, 2014

Carmen Orth-Alfie, MLIS

ARLIS/NA Public Policy Committee, co-chair 2013/14

University of Kansas Libraries

Anschutz Library, Rm 320C

1301 Hoch Auditoria Dr

Lawrence, KS 66045-7537