Jenni:

She’d never get funded by the NEH.  It, in step with the NSF and others, are requiring (or will soon) all data from sponsored research to be posted openly.  Even where it’s not required, it’s an ethical stance that all numeric-data methodologies should adopt.

I’m not certain all of the humanities are moving from an a priori to an a posteriori model.  Certainly anything that involves experimental data should be independently reproducible, regardless of the discipline.  The critical point for the humanities moving in empirical circles is to do what E. H. Gombrich (most famously for art) espoused:  Karl Popper’s empirical falsification.  Broadly, one part of proving any theory—especially hard-to-prove ones—is that the opposite of your theory could not happen given your data.  Those arguments are still rare in art history.  We as info people can suggest that, too.

Thanks,

From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jenni M Rodda
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Journal Impact Factors

Colleagues--

This has been an interesting thread for me, since IFA, like many other institutions, is moving forward with a number of digital humanities/art history and "big data"-ish projects.  One of our PhD candidates is building 3-D models of 19th century exhibition spaces; another is working with 3-D printing to recreate buildings that no longer exist; still another is mapping funeral routes in Egypt using a combination of GIS information and aerial views of a site.

I would like to throw out an aside:  If the humanities are now going to use the tools of hard science, specifically data analysis, should they be subject to the same strictures that define the sciences?  Specifically, should the results of a humanities data analysis/"experiment" (if you will forgive me the extrapolation) be required to be reproducable?  One of our PhD candidates showed me some beautiful graphs/visualizations of the data she has assembled on a specific topic; she pointed out to me that, since she assembled her own data, she isn't planning on necessarily sharing it any time soon--which means (and she knows this) no one else will be able to reproduce her "experiment," or her results.  Perhaps rhetorically, what does that say about her thesis, and the conclusions she draws from her data analysis?

Food for thought, I suppose.

All best,

Jenni Rodda