While it’s true some of the ARLIS/NA tours are full, many are still open, including the Cemeteries, Baltimore, Hillwood Estate, Museum, and Gardens, and others.  Some of the filled tours can still be negotiated on one’s own, including the Capitol, the Library of Congress, the Diplomatic Reception Rooms, the Folger Shakespeare Library, and many others.

If you’re looking for a free diplomatic art tour we suggest visiting The Anderson House, home of The Society of the Cincinnati. Located in Dupont Circle, The Anderson House (a National Historic Landmark), is one of the few original Embassy Row homes open to the public and offers a unique glimpse into political and private life in early twentieth-century Washington. Completed in 1905 in Washington's most fashionable neighborhood, the Anderson House provided Larz Anderson, an American diplomat, and his wife, Isabel, an author and benefactress, a prominent place to entertain and display their collection of fine and decorative arts, as well as evidence of their family history and patriotic service.

Please keep reading for answers to Mary’s questions about local tours.

Tours of the Capitol:

http://www.visitthecapitol.gov/plan-visit/frequently-asked-questions#q6

The earliest tours available are now for May 5. As far as I can tell you can view the Capitol on your own without a tour, correct?

You can visit the Capitol Visitor Center, an interpretation center in the bowels of the Capitol, without a tour. The CVC is free and open to the public. To tour the Capitol you will need to join a tour group. The Capitol runs these tours and they’re recommended. Sign up in advance or on the day of your tour. Tours are free.

Please note that there is a tunnel between the Capitol Visitor’s Center and the Library of Congress Thomas Jefferson Building – so people wanting to visit both can easily move between the two.

Watching Congress in Session:

http://www.senate.gov/visiting/common/generic/new/watching_congress.htm

http://majorityleader.gov/calendar/113thCongressSecondSession-Monthly.pdf

I understand that international visitors may watch Congress in session by obtaining a pass. Does anyone know how early one has to arrive to obtain these passes? As far as I can tell from the calendar Congress is in session on May 1 & 2. Is my reading of this correct? What does it mean when there are no votes that day? Is it worthwhile attending on that day?

We’re not aware that there is a cap on daily passes, which are available by asking the House or Senate Appointment Desks on the upper level of the Capitol Visitor Center—both international visitors and domestic may acquire passes in this fashion. If there are no votes it means no legislation is being voted upon that day. Congress is in session at various times—it’s difficult to predict—but when you pick up your passes you can inquire about the day’s schedule. For a preview of what you might see, check out the live CSPAN feed. Even if the floor is quiet, there are always interpreters present in the viewing galleries (standing, earnest young men and women) who can point out features of the room, answer your questions, and tell stories.

Diplomatic Reception Rooms, Department of State:

https://receptiontours.state.gov/

I understand that one can book a tour of the Reception Rooms on your own. I am unable to access this site despite the instruction re: web browsers. Any suggestions?

Use Chrome, and click on “Request a Tour” as the directions indicate.Inline image 2

White House:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/tours-and-events

My past experience is that is impossible to visit the White House if you are an international visitor. Is this correct?

We don’t have direct experience visiting the White House as an international visitor. Here’s what the White House tour website says: “If you wish to visit the White House and are a citizen of a foreign country, please contact your embassy in Washington, DC for assistance in submitting a tour request. All foreign nationals must present their passport. All other forms of foreign identification will not be accepted.”