I am hoping my colleagues can provide some guidance on the IBA and it’s true value to an art library. I realize that ProQuest promotes this as “the definitive resource for scholarly literature on western art” and  “the successor to the Bibliography of the History of Art.” We’ve had a trial on it for the past month and I’ve received very mixed reviews from my faculty and graduate students. A few faculty have been grateful to find citations to literature that they were unaware of while others have found IBA worthless with few or even no citations available for important artists.

I am concerned that ProQuest doesn’t tell us who the editor is or if there is an advisory board overseeing the journal list. Why are so many important journals, i.e. Art Bulletin, Art Journal, Apollo listed as “selective coverage” while journals with titles that I don’t recognize are listed as “core coverage?” Is this a deliberate strategy since the familiar titles are indexed by other vendors? If so, how does this meet the criteria of being a “definitive resource?”

I’m truly struggling with whether this resource would be an important addition for our clientele when we already receive Art Full Text, Art Bibliographies Modern, Arts & Humanities Citation Index, and over 400 other indexes on a variety of topics so I welcome hearing your opinions.

Susan Craig
Art & Architecture Librarian
Univ. of Kansas