ARLIS Colleagues,

As someone who was disappointed to find tours full, despite registering
a month ago, I am seeking assistance/advice as to how to arrange my own
tours of some of the sights. I am posting this question on the listserv
so that others may benefit from the responses. Also, as someone not from
the US, I am having some difficulty navigating some of the government
websites. Please see my questions below.

Tours of the Capitol:
http://www.visitthecapitol.gov/plan-visit/frequently-asked-questions#q6
The earliest tours available are now for May 5. As far as I can tell you
can view the Capitol on your own without a tour, correct?

Watching Congress in Session:
http://www.senate.gov/visiting/common/generic/new/watching_congress.htm
http://majorityleader.gov/calendar/113thCongressSecondSession-Monthly.pdf
I understand that international visitors may watch Congress in session
by obtaining a pass. Does anyone know how early one has to arrive to
obtain these passes? As far as I can tell from the calendar Congress is
in session on May 1 & 2. Is my reading of this correct? What does it
mean when there are no votes that day? Is it worthwhile attending on
that day?

Diplomatic Reception Rooms, Department of State:
https://receptiontours.state.gov/
I understand that one can book a tour of the Reception Rooms on your
own. I am unable to access this site despite the instruction re: web
browsers. Any suggestions?

White House:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/tours-and-events
My past experience is that is is impossible to visit the White House if
you are an international visitor. Is this correct?

With thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Mary

--
Mary Kandiuk MA MLS
Visual Arts, Design and Theatre Librarian/Senior Librarian