Dear colleagues

I wanted to provide you with some updates about the upcoming annual conference in Washington as well as things you may wish to know to help you register, reserve a room, and plan your stay.

Registration for our annual conference in Washington (May 1-5 http://www.arlisna.org/washingtondc2014/index.php<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://www.arlisna.org/washingtondc2014/index.php&k=diZKtJPqj4jWksRIF4bjkw%3D%3D%0A&r=Lbyc1m%2Fq%2BItC1Upzi3vSwg%3D%3D%0A&m=fVDovsbKuAWYYQqRguvD%2FMU0zlE9yK5w%2FO6utMjih5g%3D%0A&s=b6acec545ba180362e718208a6bfc439d5f82f489dcf785c2b98671cab6ad1d9>) has only been open for ten days and we have had an avalanche of registrants. I may be a bit biased but I think this will be an amazing conference and want to thank the Conference Planning Committee for all of their efforts to organize five wonderful days in Washington. They truly have been working overtime to ensure that the program of sessions, tours, and workshops are stimulating and that our events will be lovely.  The exhibition hall will be packed full ( see http://www.arlisna.org/washingtondc2014/exhibitors.php<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://www.arlisna.org/washingtondc2014/exhibitors.php&k=diZKtJPqj4jWksRIF4bjkw%3D%3D%0A&r=Lbyc1m%2Fq%2BItC1Upzi3vSwg%3D%3D%0A&m=fVDovsbKuAWYYQqRguvD%2FMU0zlE9yK5w%2FO6utMjih5g%3D%0A&s=c1daa6fae26db9043ee4129366f4f74987fe03366c1bc863166f313148c69b29> for a list of exhibitors). And we are fortunate to have many generous conference sponsors whose generosity is sincerely appreciated. Sponsor logos that link to their web sites are on the opening page of the conference website.

HOTEL
Our official conference hotel is the Grand Hyatt Washington. ARLIS/NA has contracted with the hotel for a discounted rate for available to you through a dedicated online registration page (https://aws.passkey.com/g/19915156<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=https://aws.passkey.com/g/19915156&k=diZKtJPqj4jWksRIF4bjkw%3D%3D%0A&r=Lbyc1m%2Fq%2BItC1Upzi3vSwg%3D%3D%0A&m=fVDovsbKuAWYYQqRguvD%2FMU0zlE9yK5w%2FO6utMjih5g%3D%0A&s=01f75707f7eaf6effd17b7e4943d319b827453e98b58c50a0678c90d5fbdb06f>). We are experiencing a high demand for rooms on Wednesday (April 30) and Thursday (May 1). If you are told that the rooms in the ARLIS/NA room block are sold out, please contact Robert Kopchinski at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> and he can assist in you in getting a room at the conference rate.

Please note: We have also been alerted to a possible scam regarding the reservation of hotel rooms at the Grand Hyatt. Someone is calling individuals and offering rooms at the Grand Hyatt at a small discount. Please note that these calls are not from ARLIS/NA or the hotel.

SAMUEL H. KRESS FOUNDATION INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL AWARDS

The Samuel H. Kress Foundation has generously provided funds for travel awards to bring European art informational professionals to Washington to attend the conference (http://www.arlisna.org//about/awards/awards_index.html<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://www.arlisna.org/about/awards/awards_index.html&k=diZKtJPqj4jWksRIF4bjkw%3D%3D%0A&r=Lbyc1m%2Fq%2BItC1Upzi3vSwg%3D%3D%0A&m=fVDovsbKuAWYYQqRguvD%2FMU0zlE9yK5w%2FO6utMjih5g%3D%0A&s=dc8ade5b9d21c1b701b423d028903591c371f0b048e3b23859de1d3c831fe4b9> ) as well as send ARLIS/NA members to IFLA in Paris and Lyon, France this August. Deadline for both is March 19th so check the link above for application guidelines and forms.

GETTING TO DC AND AROUND

The "About Washington DC" tab on the conference website will provide you with information on getting to DC as well as getting around town. The DC conference will take full advantage of the wealth of public transportation options in the Capital. We encourage you to purchase a SmarTrip(r)<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://www.wmata.com/fares/smartrip/&k=diZKtJPqj4jWksRIF4bjkw%3D%3D%0A&r=Lbyc1m%2Fq%2BItC1Upzi3vSwg%3D%3D%0A&m=fVDovsbKuAWYYQqRguvD%2FMU0zlE9yK5w%2FO6utMjih5g%3D%0A&s=5017406aaa9d8794667cb0941b92109fb92225327ab4aefb3af8f961e3f55ab6>, card - a permanent, rechargeable Metro card that will save you money and allow you to breeze through the turnstiles like a native Washingtonian. The card is good on the Metro trains, Metro buses and Circulator buses. The initial cost of the SmarTrip is $2, but saves you a dollar for each ride. There are various fare card options, including seven day passes, available online. Please see http://www.wmata.com/fares/purchase/passes.cfm<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://www.wmata.com/fares/purchase/passes.cfm&k=diZKtJPqj4jWksRIF4bjkw%3D%3D%0A&r=Lbyc1m%2Fq%2BItC1Upzi3vSwg%3D%3D%0A&m=fVDovsbKuAWYYQqRguvD%2FMU0zlE9yK5w%2FO6utMjih5g%3D%0A&s=c2a365349c2cb0d43a5c87ab0cf08538c0c2ff7b91ffb7a06f67d567e9c44b50> for more information.

Transportation to the Convocation at the Library of Congress will be by Metro. No tour buses are allowed close to the adjacent Capitol Building. There is a Metro stop in the Grand Hyatt, taking you by Metro train to within a half block walk to the Library of Congress. Volunteers from the ARLIS/NA DC-MD-VA Chapter will shepherd you through the system if you need assistance. One can easily catch a cab at the hotel but weekend traffic might make Metro a more swift option.

You can also take advantage of the many bike lanes by joining Capital Bikeshare (http://www.capitalbikeshare.com/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://www.capitalbikeshare.com/&k=diZKtJPqj4jWksRIF4bjkw%3D%3D%0A&r=Lbyc1m%2Fq%2BItC1Upzi3vSwg%3D%3D%0A&m=fVDovsbKuAWYYQqRguvD%2FMU0zlE9yK5w%2FO6utMjih5g%3D%0A&s=c7a456326eb315bcc20c3c94a2f32fd15cbbbeca6639a7fca9ca531bfbfb13bd>). Their distinctive racks of red bicycles are all over town. Just remember to bring a helmet!

NEW TOUR

We have added a late tour of the National Gallery of Art's Imaging and Visual Resources Paintings Studio where you can see photographers capture digital images in a state-of-the art studio.  Experts in color management will be on hand to answer your questions. If you have already registered for the conference and would like to add this tour, send an email with your registration ID number to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> and they will manually update your registration.

Many of our tours in Washington are free but the opportunities are priceless. I hope you will enjoy them. Additionally, a number of libraries will hold an open house on Monday morning where they will have special displays of artists' books and rare materials selected to showcase the rich resources of the Washington area. I am a bit of a library geek and always enjoy touring other research spaces. Having seen many of my local colleagues' libraries and special collections, I can assure that you will have a treat in store. Additionally, we are working a list of museum shops that will provide conference attendees with a discount by showing their conference badge.

LOCAL GUIDES

We want you to experience the real Washington - a city maligned by pundits and the press - who forget that real people live here and sometimes take exception to the barbs and derision. The District of Columbia is a vibrant town with many distinct neighborhoods. The food scene has exploded and you can find practically any cuisine you can imagine made by a celebrity chef or just some good home cooking.

MEMBERSHIP BRUNCH

On the weekends, everyone in DC goes to have brunch, and we thought that our conference participants should not be left out of the fun. This year, instead of lunch, we are having brunch - perhaps a fun new tradition! Our speaker, local architectural historian James Goode, will talk to us not about the monuments and grand public building but about his recent work on historic residential architecture. The annual Membership Meeting will follow.

Washington looks its best in the spring (thank you, Lady Bird Johnson!). The Washington Conference Committee and I cannot wait for you to join us for what we hope will be a memorable conference.

Gregory P. J. Most
President
Art Libraries Society of North America

Chief, Department of Image Collections
Library
National Gallery of Art
Washington, DC 20565

e-mail:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
phone:  202/ 842-6100