Hi seeker of knowledge,

I’ve worked for more than a year on transferring VHS unavailable on DVD.  I use a Toshiba DVR620KU that IT had sitting on a shelf.  The image quality is as good as the VHS it comes from.  Recording is in real time (ie. it can take hours).  I have the machine on a cart with a TV in my office and start it copying whenever Circ brings me something, glancing up when it’s close to the time it should end.  Up to 8 hours can fit on 1 DVD, so I put multi part titles together.

Some VHS are protected, and the machine won’t copy them. <sigh>

Our copyright policy only lets faculty take these out to use in class.

Hope this helps

Janet

Janet Thomas
Technical Services Librarian