As expected, an insightful and thoughtful review of our past, present, and future seen through the wisdom and experience of Chris Sundt!  Thank you, BJ

From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Christine L. Sundt
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Routlege/Taylor and Francis absorbing CAA journals?

I need to correct a statement in Thomas Hill's message regarding Visual Resources, that "the editors moved to Taylor & Francis." The fact of the matter is that VR's prior publisher Gordon + Breach and later one of its offshoots Harwood Academic Press sold all of its holdings to Taylor & Francis around 2000. The editors had nothing to do with the change in management. Actually Helene Roberts, then editor, and I were both surprised and even pleased with this move and ultimately grateful that VR survived; not all journals sold to T&F enjoyed the same fate.

Our move to T&F/Routledge was graceful and efficient. We also found that we were under the management of a highly competent team of professionals who always went out of their way to satisfy our needs and to assist authors; this was not always the case under G+B (some will remember that G+B preceded Elsevier in its status as "demon incarnate"). We were also pleased that we could keep the same promotional subscription rate for individual subscribers who were members of several organizations that had this benefit under G+B. The current beneficiaries of this special subscription rate are members of VRA, CAA, and AHA (UK).

There is no dispute that the cost of selling the journal to all other subscribers is high, and libraries are among these. But much has changed since the days of print-only publications and distribution. One needs only to look around our libraries to see that technology tools have largely replaced the physical objects that we knew as books and journals and that the replacement costs for keeping technology current is astronomical, hardly comparable to the cost of content. Think of the life-span of a typical computer and all the peripherals that we currently supply free of charge to our users. Where does that money come from? It's got to come from somewhere within our budgets and acquisitions is and has been one of those places. Remember the massive journal cuts that we all endured? Yes, prices were going up, but additional new library expenses were also popping up like gophers. Included among these were our own digitization projects, the new consortia model (administration or membership is not free), online catalogs and services, and free document delivery to faculty and students to name a few. These are expenses that were not within our budgets several decades ago.

The cost of delivering content is different than it used to be and like all things linked with technology, it is more expensive and the costs do not seem to know a ceiling or limit; but it is fast and efficient, better than the way we operated in the past. The cost of subscribing to a journal as a library could be rationalized if there is demand among faculty and students for the content of the journal -- which I hope could be the case with VR. If libraries are happy to pay on-demand fees for content (pay per download), that's one way to avoid subscribing. On the other hand, if staff time is involved in frequent requests for the same content, then it may be more cost effective to subscribe or to get the journal through a package of e-journals such as offered by Ebscohost (VR is among a vast number of titles available).

My work as an editor of an academic journal as taught me to be more sympathetic about publishers and how they serve us. They are hardly "price-fixing parasites on the academy." If anything, technology is the culprit, but I can't imagine working in an environment that can bypass it.

I invite your further thoughts -- and especially your ideas about how we as librarians can be helping the cause instead of dismissing and demonizing it.

With kind regards,

Christine L. Sundt, Editor
Visual Resources: An International Journal of Documentation
PO Box 5316
Eugene OR 97405-0316 - USA
phone: 541.485.1420
VR Web site: http://www.mindspring.com/~sundt-vr<http://www.mindspring.com/%7Esundt-vr/so.htm>/
csundt(at)mindspring(dot)com or
csundt(at)gmail(dot)com

[Image removed by sender.]    [Image removed by sender.]
VR 29-4 (December 2013)
EDITORIAL: Research Resources at our Fingertips

FREE ACCESS - View full text<http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01973762.2013.846774> Download full text<http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/01973762.2013.846774>
DOI:10.1080/01973762.2013.846774
http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/gvir20/current