Hi All:

I was wondering what some of you have done when you have a documentary film in your collection that becomes damaged due to scratches or unidentified gunk  or what preventative measures you’ve chosen. Recently one of our dvds stopped while in use by a faculty member during a class.

Any suggestions/input to any of the following questions will be appreciated:

Do you have a machine in the library for resurfacing? I would love to hear suggestions for equipment.

Do you use anything else in-house that works well with regard to scratches?

Or do you send it out? If you do send it out would you mind mentioning a vendor who you’ve had a good relationship with.

Do you burn a copy of the dvd as backup when you first receive it to prevent it from being unavailable if the dvd does stop working.

Do you review a dvd that you receive in order to determine whether it is free from scratches, defects, etc. by playing it as well as by reviewing the disc itself?

Do you ask whoever is staffing the circulation desk to check for scratches when a dvd is returned? And, if so, when do you determine as to whether there has been permanent damage (this probably is not done at the point of return)?

Again, any input would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Sheri

Sheri Rosenzweig

Reference and Visual Resources Librarian
Boston Architectural College
Visual Resources Library, Rm 511

320 Newbury Street

Boston, MA 02115