Dear ARLIS/NA members,

I just launched Artists’ Books DC, a guide to collections of artists’ books in the Washington DC area. This project is funded by a grant from the College Book Art Association. My experiences doing research have taught me that book art collections are often hidden, and that searching catalogs for artists' books can be frustrating. Artists’ Books DC is a reference tool for researchers, artists, students, and librarians that solves these problems.

The website lists repositories in the area that have collections of artists’ books, provides information about the collection development and access policies of each library, and incorporates maps and some photos from the repositories. In addition to linking to institutions’ catalogs, the website provides a detailed explanation about how to use each catalog to generate a list of artists’ books. Artists’ Books DC has information about how to visit the collections and perform research, including transportation details, the location of collections within the library or museum, whether researcher cards and appointments are required, and contact information for further questions.

For more information about the project, read my post on the ARLIS/NA Book Art SIG blog: http://arlisnabookartsig.blogspot.com/2014/01/artists-books-dc-guide-to-researching.html

Best,

Michelle Strizever

ARLIS/NA Book Art SIG Co-Coordinator