Hello ARLIS members,

I'm an artist working primarily in photography. I've been based in Miami, FL since mid 2011.

I'm hoping to poll your collective knowledge about vandalism and mutilation of fine art and photography publications in both public and private libraries. I'm currently at work on a project dealing with this topic, and I would greatly appreciate any insight you can provide.

To summarize:

In January 2012 I visited the main branch of the Miami Dade Public Library to collect material for a few sections of Introduction to Photography which I was teaching at the time. The first book I picked up was Emmet Gowin's Photographs. I was shocked to find that every picture depicting even a hint of nudity–which includes about 20% of the works in this particular book–had been crudely removed, leaving behind a bizarre array of irregular holes and page sections. My initial feeling of shock quickly evolved into utter disgust, but once I got over that, I began to search the stacks for other instances of vandalism. In the end, I was so taken with the juxtapositions that were created as a result of this mutilation, I began photographing the books as if they were found collages.

I have a selection of these images on my website:

http://gideonbarnett.com/v/

I'm interested in how these books may represent multiple sets of values–those of the original artist, the vandal, and myself–which have now become intertwined. Historically, I would like to connect them to the rephotographic work of Sherry Levine and Richard Prince, while hopefully echoing some of the Photomontage and Constructivism by El Lissitzky and Alexander Rodchenko. Ultimately, I want to use photography to transform this inherently destructive act into something that is to some degree both beautiful and mystifying.

This was my first experience with vandalism of library materials and, initially, I thought it was unique to Miami. I soon visited public libraries in Atlanta, Birmingham, and Nashville and realized this seems to be happening in most libraries. I could go on at length about my reverence for printed matter, especially those publications which contributed in such profound ways to my education in art and photography, but I imagine we're all on the some page, so, in the interest of semi-brevity, I'll just say that it's been difficult to wrap my mind around the extent to which so many limited run fine art publications have met with the same fate.

A few months ago, I met with the Head of Special Collections at the University of Miami who suggested that I look into ARLIS for potential contacts (Special Collections at UM has an astounding collection and an incredibly knowledgeable staff, by the way).

Which brings me to writing this message.

I have traveled to all of the institutions within my current means (I'm an artist on an artist's budget), yet I would like to continue working on this project. I have contacted librarians at major institutions in Boston, NYC, and Los Angeles without any response. I can understand why, as it must seem like an odd request from a stranger far, far away. I am writing here to hopefully appeal to the stewards of the visual arts who may appreciate my project and offer a helping hand.

I'm wondering:

1) Have you observed this phenomenon in your libraries?

2) Would you be willing to help me identify specific titles with known damage?

3) Would it be possible for me to borrow, through ILL perhaps, such titles?

I greatly appreciate any insight regarding any aspect of this project. Suggestions, anecdotes, contacts, etc. are welcome, so please do not hold back if you have something that might be of interest.

It would probably be most appropriate to respond to me directly at:

Thank you for reading. I hope this can be the beginning of a dialogue.

All the best from Miami,

Gideon Barnett