Question is at end of description.

Item Details:

Bibliographic Information

Title – Ancient Egypt or Mizraim

Author – Binion, Samuel Augustus (1853-1914)

Publisher – H.G. Allen, New York

Pub. Date – 1887

Description of Copy # 1394/2000

The complete title is Ancient Egypt or Mizraim. Profusely illustrated with fine engravings and colored plates by the best artists, from the works of L'Expedition de l'Egypte, Lepsius, Prisse d'Avennes, &c.

This set consists of 6 folios, 23 x 28 inches each, boards covered in russet-colored paper, with leather corners and spines. Inside each folio, the plates and texts are held in a large ochre-colored removable paper folder, printed with the title page.

My set is comprised of 2 volumes, Volumes Nos. 2 and 3. They should contain 73 total plates, with the corresponding descriptive text for each. They are as follows:

Vol. II, Section One: Plates 1-12, complete

Vol. II, Section Two: Plates 13-24, complete

Vol. II, Section Three: Plates 25-36, complete (one extra plate each of 30 and 32)

Vol. II, Section Four: Plates 37-49, plate # 47 missing (text for plate 47 is here)

Vol. III, Section One: Plates 1-12, complete

Vol. III, Section Two, Plates 13-24, complete

There are two different editions of this title, both published in 1887. One, in full Morocco leather, was a run of only 800 copies. Every listing I can find of this edition specifies 72 plates in two volumes, numbered Volumes 1 and 2.

Descriptions of the other edition, a run of 2,000, also published in 1887 (the edition we have), list either 72 or 108 plates in two volumes, numbered Volumes 2 and 3. We have 73 plates. The  questions I have are:

Are the additional 35 plates contained in additional sections of Volume 3, a separate Volume No. 4, both, or some other delineation?

Also, what ever happened to Volume 1 of this edition?

Is it possible that plate 47 from Vol.II, Section 4 is mislabeled as No. 49?

Thank you for your help in this matter.