Date:    Tue, 12 Nov 2013 15:40:32 +0000
From:    "Rebecca K. Friedman" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Hollstein vs. New Hollstein

Peter et al,
I looked into the two series awhile back for a print-related class here
at Princeton, and while I did not examine volumes side-by-side, I do
recall looking at whatever information existed on the website for the
current publisher: Sound & Vision, in Rotterdam. At the time, it said
that early volumes were only sparsely illustrated ("only about
one-quarter of early prints were illustrated"), and that newer eds. are
fully illustrated. The newer volumes are supposed to be revisions of
earlier eds. and not identical.

I had captured the following when I worked on this class several years
back:

>From publisher: "One of the aspects warranting the revision is that
scholarly thinking as to what constitutes a graphic oeuvre has changed.
Whereas the execution of the wood or metalwork was long considered the
mark of authorship of a print, a new generation of scholars is placing
increasing emphasis on the role of the designers, who were not always
the executors. The aim is to create an instrument for a balanced
investigation of the inventor, the peintre-graveur and the reproductive
printmaker and their respective contributions to the history of
printmaking. A result of this is a new form of presenting book
illustrations in which the book is the leading principle in the
organisation of the catalogue: next to the traditional Hollstein number
given to each printing form-the plate or block- we have introduced
separate numbers for the book and for its illustrations. In this way the
accessibility of this material is vastly improved for bibliographers and
book historians, without disregarding the art historical interest in the
migration of the printing forms."

Just a quick glance in our catalog reveals that many of these volumes
appear to be on-site and not yet off-site, as far as I could tell, but I
don't know if every one of them has the word "Hollstein" somewhere in
the record. I would have to do more searches to determine location, but
it looks as if we haven't yet undergone a massive shipment of earlier
titles to off-site storage yet.

-Rebecca
Rebecca K. Friedman
Assistant Librarian