Kathleen,

The University of Chicago's Digital Scrolling Paintings Project, linked by Amanda Rybin, is wonderful.

You might also want to have a look at the Deer Scroll project from the Seattle Art Museum:
http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/exhibit/interactives/deerscroll/sam_deer.htm

Good luck!

Howard Brainen
TWO CAT DIGITAL