From: Paul Cary [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2013 12:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MLA-L] Invitation to MLA 2014 in Atlanta

Dear Colleagues,

It is my pleasure to invite you to attend the 83rd Annual Meeting of the Music Library Association, to be held February 26th to March 2nd, 2014 at the Grand Hyatt Buckhead in Atlanta, Georgia. Our Convention Managers, Laura Gayle Green and Jim Farrington, and our Local Arrangements Committee, under the leadership of Kevin Fleming and Shelley Rogers, are hard at work to ensure a fascinating, informative, and fun time for all.

The conference web site provides links to registration and additional information about our hotel, transportation details, the Preliminary Program, available tours, and links to dining, entertainment, and other attractions in Atlanta and surrounding areas. Visit http://musiclibraryassoc.org/page/mla_2014/?

PROGRAM

We will have a marvelous program, co-ordinated by Program Chair Extraordinaire Gerry Szymanski and his fabulous cohorts on the Program Committee. There will enlightening sessions in all areas of music librarianship, but I’ll just highlight the plenaries, which will focus on Sacred Harp Singing; RDA, a Year Later; and the National Recording Preservation Plan.

Our pre-conference workshop is entitled Navigating Change and Thriving: What Every Music Librarian Needs to Know. This day-long session on February 26 features Kathryn Deiss of ACRL and several MLA luminaries, and will focus on succeeding for yourself and your library in an atmosphere of constant change.

HOTEL

You can make your Grand Hyatt Atlanta Buckhead hotel reservations at https://resweb.passkey.com/Resweb.do?mode=welcome_ei_new&eventID=8157444  or by contacting the Grand Hyatt Atlanta Buckhead at 888-421-1442. Conference hotel rates start at $179/night for single occupancy. Staying at the conference hotel helps MLA keep registration costs in line!

CONFERENCE PACKET

The virtual conference packet is available under the Welcome menu. It includes information about the Mentoring Program, the Reduced Registration for Work program, the Silent Auction, the Roommate Clearinghouse, the MOUG Schedule, and career advisory services.

TOURS

Pre-conference tours on Wednesday include the Jimmy Carter Library, the Atlanta Botanical Garden, Emory University Special Collections, and the traditional Organ Crawl.

REGISTRATION

Registration is now open, at http://www.musiclibraryassoc.org/events/attendees.asp?id=345198. Early Registration for members is $270.00, $220.00 for those in the first three years in the profession, and for students it is $100.00. Please note that early registration ends 24 January 2014. Registration after that date must be done (at a higher rate) either by contacting the MLA Business Office (608-836-5825) or on site at the conference.

Members must sign in to the system to get the member rate on registration, and to avoid creating duplicate records. If you have trouble signing in, please contact the Business Office. Even if your membership is expired, do not register for the event without signing into your account!

TRAVEL

MLA members can use the ATC Conference Travel Portal to reserve discounted airline tickets, and MLA will receive a portion of the proceeds back to support the Association. Please note that the account you use at ATC is an account you create there, and is unrelated to your MLA account.

GUIDEBOOK

We will be using the Guidebook app again this year to provide attendees with interactive access to details about the conference on their mobile devices. Details will be forthcoming as we get closer to the meeting. The free app will include details on the program, lists of attendees and exhibitors, maps, and other local information.

Please contact the Business Office, the Convention Managers, or me with any questions.

Best wishes,

Paul Cary

Administrative Officer, Music Library Association

Baldwin Wallace University

275 Eastland Rd.

Berea, OH 44017