From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bill Cole
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] e-only Catalogues Raisonnes

    Exclusively online catalogues raisonnés are, in my opinion, huge lawsuits waiting to happen.

    For prints, maybe; for drawings or paintings, forget it.

    Unlike bibliographies, catalogues raisonnés are not merely convenient repositories of information:  including a work in a catalogue raisonné unequivocally declares it to be authentic.

    I realize that many works featured in traditional (i.e., printed) catalogues raisonnés have, over the years, been shown to be fakes--people will always be human, after all.  And in those cases the reputation of the compiler (and thus of his/her scholarship) is diminished.  So there is a clear incentive to get it right the first time.

    What do you think will happen when a rich Wall Streeter buys a $5 million painting, relying on a catalogue raisonné entry on the Podunk University website--and then three years later finds that the entry has been deleted?

    I don't know the answer to this question, but I sure wouldn't want to be one of Podunk U.'s lawyers.

Best

Bill Cole
Cole & Contreras Books / Sylvan Cole Gallery