Colleagues:

We own  set no. 7 of 125,   of the 1985 Alecto Edition of Audubon's Birds of America.  We are also most fortunate to have one of the original editions of the Double Elephant Folio, in fact, we have the five volume set that belonged to John James Audubon, himself.

As you may know,  the Alecto Edition prints are restrikes from the original copper plates at the American Museum of Natural History. They were printed on beautiful paper from St. Cuthberts Mill. Our set has been housed in its original Solander case since we acquired it. The case was made by G. Ryder & Co. Ltd.

The archival box is rarely opened, but recently when I did open the box, I noticed a very strong vinegar smell. We have removed the prints and sealed the box in plastic, away from the rest of our collection.  All experts are pointing towards the box as the culprit, with the possible trigger being a period of unstable climate. This may have been a result of spikes in temperature and relative humidity due to power outages etc. following hurricanes in recent years.

I am seeking other owners of an Alecto Edition. If you have this edition, would you please contact me off-list?

Thanks much,

Jenniffer

Jenniffer Hudson Connors, Librarian

Stark Museum of Art, Research Library