Dear Friends and Colleagues,

An appeal to the collective wisdom:

I need a desktop flatbed scanner that will print a full 11 x 17
inches at the very least and will work with a new iMac. Many of the
scanners nominally in that range are actually an international A3,
11.7 inches (which is fine) by 16.5 inches (which is not). 12 x 18
should be OK, or even something a little larger. I have spent quite a
bit of time on line, of course, without finding anything likely.

I do not want a paper feed. I prefer a machine that can hold an item
larger than its stated size -- i.e., one with a lid that either opens
up fully or comes off.

There are two systems in use: CCD (charge-coupled device) and CID
(contact image sensors). CID is cheaper, but it has a depth of field
of about a millimeter and can only be used for absolutely flat items.
Apparently, it also produces less accurate colors. I need a CCD
version.

Apart from high quality images, I also need OCR (optical character
recognition) so I can copy and edit typed copy. Perhaps that can be
added or improved by a separate program. Someone on this list surely
will know.

Many thanks.

Larry
--
Laurence McGilvery
Member, Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America

(858) 454-4443
www.mcgilvery.com