Greetings!

The program selection committee for the 2014 ARLIS/NA conference has given my panel proposal provisional approval, pending procurement of two additional panelists who would complement my own presentation on the topic of "Visual Literacy: Putting Guidelines into Practice".  (Don't try saying that sentence out loud if you tend to spit while you talk!)

I have included a portion of my proposal below. If you feel you and your institution fit the bill, or want to give me a lead on someone else who does, please contact me directly.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Greg Hatch
Head of Fine Arts & Architecture
Marriott Library, University of Utah

In October 2011, the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) published its Visual Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education. The 10-page document identifies seven standards (modeled on ACRL’s own Information Literacy Competency Standards document) and prescribes performance indicators and learning outcomes for students in higher education. However, the task force charged with writing these guidelines did not include faculty, librarians, or the general population in its scope, nor did it offer practical examples of how to apply the standards in real-world situations. The presenters of this session will provide attendees with real-world projects and programs where the ACRL visual literacy guidelines have been put into practice at their institutions.

The presenters will walk attendees through a simplified, inclusive list of the seven visual literacy standards and, for each, will provide innovative examples of how their institutions are 1) offering services, tools, and training in support of campus- and community-wide visual literacy efforts and 2) incorporating visual communication, information aesthetics, and the visualization of data into their own daily work and institutional environment. In addition, panelists will challenge attendees to imagine how they can integrate similar efforts into their library work through a demonstration of mind-map software and a brainstorming session to innovate new projects suited their own patrons, budgets, and skills.

It would be ideal to complement my academic library examples with those from an art and design school library and a museum library.