From: ARLIS/NA List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Eric Wolf [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] anniversary

Thanks so much for your very thoughtful response here Joan.  I agree with you wholeheartedly.  I think we should make it as clear as possible that we are an inclusive organization, one which would actually like to be much more diverse than we are.  But the idea that we would wish to exclude anyone based on what they do outside of our organization would seem to go against our core value of inclusion and offering a service to all in the profession of art librarianship.  Further, I am somewhat appalled by the idea that someone would be doing research on potential members’ other memberships and affiliations.  While I share the original poster’s dislike of exclusionary/discriminatory organizations, I also think that part of diversity in an organization is allowing people with widely differing experiences and backgrounds to participate, so long as what they bring to our organization is in line with our mission and core values.  Particularly these days where our privacy is being challenged on all sides by both online service providers and the NSA, I would like ARLIS to still be a place that honors our (ever more limited) privacy rights.

All best,

Eric

Eric M. Wolf

Head Librarian