From: "Bouchard, Karen" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:57 PM
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] anniversary

Heidi states pretty much what I was thinking myself. I also went to a Seven Sisters college and I think it would be hypocritical for me to say that men can't have men-only clubs when I went to a women-only educational institution. I happen to have a friend who belongs to the Club of Odd Volumes and he's certainly no male chauvinist woman-hater. He likes having an occasional visit to the old-time atmosphere of the club, drinking port and smoking cigars and all that outmoded stuff that nobody does anymore.

Although I strongly believe that ARLIS itself should be a completely inclusive, non-discriminatory organization, I don't think we have the right to tell our members what other organizations they can and can't belong to. There is such a thing as freedom of association in the United States, even if others are offended by your choices.

Regarding giving awards and having speakers, that is a different issue, and we may want to consider Julie's suggestion -- but I don't think belonging to a gender specific club like the Club of Odd Volumes should be a reason not to honor someone.

Karen Bouchard
Brown University