Dear Colleagues:

We've got tentative approval for a session on trade catalogs (see below), pending identification of speakers in addition to the tentative commitments already made.  I am soliciting suggestions for speakers and ideas to help shape this session.  If any of you have an interest in contributing to this session as a speaker, or in the inspirational capacity of "muse," please let me know, preferably by the end of this week.

Thanks so much.

Best,

Linda Seckelson
Senior Reader Services Librarian
The Museum Libraries
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
1000 Fifth Ave.
New York, NY 10028
T: 212 570-3739; F: 212 570-3847
email: [log in to unmask]

Here is the proposal, and the response:

There are large, recognized collections of them in some institutions, and smaller, scattered collections elsewhere. In some Museum settings, they are considered "objects," and in other situations, they are in library collections. Their ambiguous status contributes to their complexity. Therefore, access to them is not always straightforward.

The original purpose of trade catalogs was to illustrate and promote the use of manufactured products.   Small mills and large corporations alike publish them as marketing tools for wholesalers, retailers and the public. Trade catalogs document existing products, new technologies, innovative design in products and packaging, and marketing methods.  In addition, they chronicle diverse methods of printing and advertising layout. They are portable and accessible resources for disseminating new inventions and designs all over the world.   They are important research tools for verifying manufacturers of objects, as visual resources for restorations and creation of facsimiles and as a means of understanding the style and taste of a place or time period.  They document material culture in a way that links commerce, industry, design, taste and scholarship, and as such, are essential tools for the increasingly interdisciplinary study of art history, decorative arts and material culture.

Politically, trade catalogs represent the industrial and commercial productivity and inventiveness of a nation - a measurement of its economic power in the post industrial world.   They additionally promoted national styles -that became adopted by countries as a form of identity and national pride.

In this session, we propose a series (3 or 4) talks on
*        What are trade catalogs? How to define? Major collections
*        Acquisition, cataloging, organization
*        Access, bibliographical works
*        Digitization projects, issues related to this (some trade catalogs include samples/realia)

Linda,

The program committee has tentatively approved your proposal titled "Trade Catalogs - Opportunities and Challenges" as a session for the 2014 ARLIS/NA Conference.

Currently we are shoring up the schedule and making final decisions. In light of our interest in your session, we are asking proposers to set up and confirm, as much as possible, the session participants and their topics. Your proposal currently does not named confirmed speakers. If possible, we are asking proposers to please give us an update by the end of August. Not everything need to be finalized at this point, but if you begin to move towards finalizing your session and giving the committee an update (and whether, as you put it, you have a "spiffier title"), we'll will be able to better plan (and sponsor) our session schedule.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thanks for submitting your proposal and we look forward to hearing from you.

Doug

Doug Litts, Librarian, Head
Smithsonian American Art Museum/
National Portrait Gallery Library