A grad student here is looking to find documentation of actual explosions that have happened using aquatint boxes (as the acid resistant resin used is/was easily combustable). Particularly in the 19th century when it seems this particular aquatint process was used.. but anything would probably do.

This was common so such occurrences may not have been published as separate events, but I’m thinking archived notes or biographies of practitioners, newspapers that may have recorded an explosion or reported on the process, or perhaps a history of hazards in the arts.

If you have any clues that might steer us in the right direction, please let me know!

Mo

Mo Dawley

Art and Drama Librarian

Senior Librarian