Hi All,
I am a Digital Archivist within the Marketing Department of the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, managing the department’s digital assets.  I am curious to see how other cultural institutions navigate usage rights, intellectual property rights, and licensing fees when hiring outside photographers to capture proprietary museum events, specimens, and exhibits.  Currently in the Marketing Department at the NHM, the photographer retains the rights to the images and when we want to use an image for advertising or commercially we need to then negotiate a usage fee for each individual image.  I am wondering how this process influences the fundamental values of the museum’s digital assets if we do not own/control them freely, especially when thinking long term.   I would appreciate getting any feedback as to how other cultural institutionsnegotiate licensing fees, copyright and usage rights with hired photographers; if copyright is required to be signed over to the institution from the beginning; examples of forms used, etc.
Thank you!

Emily Wittenberg
Digital Archivist | Creative Services
[log in to unmask] 213-763-3254