Greetings,

The Midwestern Art Cataloging Discussion Group (MACDG) will be holding their fall meeting in conjunction with ARLIS/NA Midstates and VRA Midwest Regional Chapter in Chicago, IL on September 13 – 14, 2013. (The agenda is below.) I think the majority of our members are active with ARLIS/NA Midstates and/or VRA Midwest Regional Chapter but should you not be I wanted to make certain this announcement reaches everyone. If you are a member of MACDG and plan to attend the meeting please R.S.V.P. to [log in to unmask] by September 6, 2013

A contract is being signed as we speak for discounted rates at the Palmer House and Blackstone hotels and that information will be available soon. In the meantime, Leigh Gates, ARLIS/NA Midstates Vice Chair/Chair-Elect has compiled a list of discounted hotel sites, which can be found below. Lastly, I’d like to thank Leigh Gates at Harrington College of Design, Michael Donovan and Alexis Burson at DePaul University,  as well as Melanie Emerson and Laurie Chipps at the Art Institute of Chicago for their assistance in planning this event.

Many thanks,

Nicole Finzer, Chair, MACDG
Visual Resources Librarian, Digital Collections
Library Technology Division, Northwestern University

Fall Meeting |Chicago, IL | September13-14

Friday September 13

·       9:15am Meet on front steps of the Art Institute of Chicago

We’ll walk as a group to the side entrance at 9:25am where we’ll be ushered in by Ryerson Library staff.

·       9:30am-10:30am Tour Ryerson Library

·       10:30am-11:30am Explore Art Institute on own

·       11:30am-12:40pm Lunch on own

·       12:40am-1:00pm Walk to Columbia College

·       1:00pm-2:00pm Tour Columbia College’s Fashion Study Collection, 618 S Michigan Ave, Floor 8

·       2:00-2:30pm Break

·       2:00pm-3:00pm Walk to DePaul University, 1 E. Jackson (building with a Barnes & Noble on 1st floor)

·       3:00pm-4:00pm Presentation on copyright by M. Claire Stewart from Northwestern University http://www.library.northwestern.edu/directory/m-claire-stewart .  DePaul University, 1 E. Jackson, room t.b.a.

Saturday September 14

·       10:00-11:00 am Presentations from members on projects. Harrington College of Design, 200 W. Madison Room 106 (breakfast items/coffee & tea provided )

·       11:10-12:10pm VRA, ARLIS/NA & MACDG meetings at Harrington College of Design (entrance to Harrington to left of glass atrium) Map

o   ARLIS-, Harrington College of Design Room 106

o   VRA – Harrington College of Design, Room 106

o   MACDG- DePaul University, 1 E. Jackson, Room T.B.A.  (tentative-may join VRA or ARLIS, MACDG leadership will confirm at a later date)

Meetings Adjourned! We have listed several tours being offered in the vicinity 9/14 for those interested in making their own arrangements.

Tours

·       Make reservations in advance on your own.  All tours are in the Loop (downtown Chicago unless otherwise noted)

o   Chicago Theatre Tour 12:30pm,  $12 http://www.thechicagotheatre.com/tour.html?/1

o   Chicago Cultural Center Building Tour, 1:15pm, free http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_info/chicago_culturalcenterbuildingtours.html

o   Driehaus Museum (just north of loop) 12:00-5:00pm, $20 http://www.driehausmuseum.org/

o   Chicago Architecture Foundation Boat Tour 1pm, 1:30pm, 2pm, 3pm, 3:30pm, 4pm, 5pm, 5:30pm, $37.85 http://www.architecture.org/tours/boat-tours  (highly recommended!)

o   Historic Downtown (North Loop): Treasures of Culture and Commerce 2:00pm, $17 https://tickets.architecture.org/public/daily_events_list.asp

o   Historic Downtown (South Loop): Rise of the Skyscraper 3:00pm, $17 https://tickets.architecture.org/public/daily_events_list.asp

o   Additional Tour information can be found at the Chicago Architecture Foundation website at http://www.architecture.org/

Loop and Nearby Museums in addition to AIC:

·       Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) http://www.mcachicago.org/

·       Museum of Contemporary Photography http://www.mocp.org/

·       Spertus Museum http://www.spertus.edu/

Map of Meeting Places http://goo.gl/maps/c4TQz

Food in Loop

·       Cafecito  26 E. Congress Pkwy http://www.cafecitochicago.com

·       Pastoral 53 E. Lake St. http://www.pastoralartisan.com

·       Oasis 21 N. Wabash Ave. http://oasiscafeone.com

·       Falafil 72 E. Adams http://eatfalafill.com

·       Toni Patisserie & Café 65 E. Washington http://www.tonipatisserie.com

·       Pret-a-Manger 225 N. Michigan Ave (and other locations) – http://www.pret.com/us

·       Oysy 888 S. Michigan Ave. http://www.oysysushi.com

·       Corner Bakery 35 E. Monroe http://www.cornerbakerycafe.com/Home.aspx

Hotels in Chicago:
http://www.hotels.com/de1497539/hotels-chicago-illinois/(http://www.hotels.com/de1497539/hotels-chicago-illinois/)
Choose Chicago
http://www.choosechicago.com/chicago-hotels/(http://www.choosechicago.com/chicago-hotels/)
Travelocity
http://www.travelocity.com/hotel-d5434-illinois-chicago-hotels(http://www.travelocity.com/hotel-d5434-illinois-chicago-hotels)
Orbitz
http://www.orbitz.com/hotels/United_States--IL/Chicago.hd7840/(http://www.orbitz.com/hotels/United_States--IL/Chicago.hd7840/)

Some relatively inexpensive hotels in the Loop are:
Travelodge Chicago Downtown
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35805-d87576-Reviews-Travelodge_Chicago_Downtown-Chicago_Illinois.html(http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35805-d87576-Reviews-Travelodge_Chicago_Downtown-Chicago_Illinois.html)
La Quinta Inn and Suites Downtown
http://www.laquintachicagodowntown.com/(http://www.laquintachicagodowntown.com/)
Congress Plaza Hotel
http://www.choosechicago.com/listing/Congress-Plaza-Hotel--Conference-Center/41779/(http://www.choosechicago.com/listing/Congress-Plaza-Hotel--Conference-Center/41779/)