Dear Colleagues:

I am trying to confirm dates for a 19th-20th century painter, for whom some of the auction databases etc. list his dates as Walter Spindler (1878-1940), and his nationality as British.

I have tried the few resources that we can access, such as

Benezit, (entry: 19th-20th century, French, painter of portraits and watercolors)

Art Index:  Spindler, Walter, fl. 1890 Apollo: The International Magazine for Collectors; November 1977, Vol. 106, p118 (just an illustration of a portrait of Sarah Bernhardt)

Some of the other sources I have checked, without success: The OPAC for the Bibliotheque nationale of France; FirstSearch; The Bibliothèque Forney Catalogue supplement and other online art indexes.

ArtNet cites him as British, 1878-1940, and ascribes work by him to years beginning with 1885, 1887, 1890, etc., dates which seem totally impossible if he was really born in 1878!  Those dates have been used by various auction houses as well.

A French auction catalog from 1997 simply cites his dates as 19th-20th century.

If anyone is familiar with Spindler, or has a source that I have not mentioned, I would appreciate any information, but it is not necessary to go to any length to find his dates.

Many thanks.

Gail P. Bardhan

Reference and Research Librarian

Rakow Library