From: Association of Architecture School Librarians [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Santana, Gilda B
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: CORRECTION ON CALL FOR PROPOSALS!

Greetings from Miami Beach, location for the 2014 AASL Conference!

I’m looking forward to hosting the AASL conference in Miami, which takes place from April 10-12, 2014!  The bar was set high last year by David Eifler and his team of local organizers who put together a successful program and tours of the beautiful and sophisticated city of San Francisco in 2013.  Now, I’d like your input regarding this year’s conference.  The Conference Planning Committee is requesting proposals for two Special Focus Panels to be held on Friday, April 11, 2014.  The first will be a one-hour session for a series of up to 6 “lightning talks” (not more than six minutes long, not more than 12 slides) on topics pertinent to architectural librarianship. The second session (1.5 hours) will host three panelists and focus on an academic topic(s) (15 minute long presentations followed by discussion).  Depending on how many winning topics are suggested and if timing allows, we may add a second round of “lightning talks”.

Deadline for Submissions: Friday, November 14, 2013
Format: Abstract/brief paragraph on your presentation/talk

The survey we conducted shortly after the San Francisco conference indicated that attendees appreciated the well-balanced program of presentations, panels and tours. Participants reacted enthusiastically to the “Lightning Round” presentations in particular.  Numerous people suggested having one or two half-day workshops on a topic of major relevance. “Assessment” was one topic that was repeatedly suggested.  Jeanne Brown of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas is considering our invitation to host an assessment workshop (April 12), and has requested your suggestions on how best to focus a four-hour workshop.  Please let me know which topics are of interest to you:

•      outcomes development;

•      connecting the library with the institutional mission and goals

•      identifying areas which are valued by users
and documenting the actual value provided;

•      collecting, presenting, analyzing, and using data -- what data, for what purpose(s)?

•      other

Other areas of interest loosely based on this year’s ACSA theme, Globalizing Architecture / Flows and Disruptions  include:

•      scholarly communication in the arts and humanities - the role of open access and digital humanities in architecture;

•      the impact of online education on the study of architecture;

•      approaches to on-line librarianship;

•      open-access publications assessment;

•      preparing students for global practice;

•      GIS services-how much does an architecture librarian need to know?

One topic that looms large in architectural faculty consciousness is that of local and global climate change. What are the implications for librarians regarding collection development, instruction, and services within the architectural academy, and are we sufficiently flexible to adapt to the changing environmental tides?

Regarding tours, I would love to offer a historic Miami River boat tour led by Miami’s own illustrious historian, Dr. Paul George, and a walking tour of the Miami Beach Art Deco district which will incur an additional fee as in years past. Since the cities of Miami Beach, Miami, and Coral Gables have so much to offer in the way of site-seeing, I would like to leave a little bit of down-time for those of you who would like to do your own thing, which may just be sipping a Mojito poolside, or simply digging your toes in the sand.  BTW, the conference hotel is the Eden Roc, designed by Morris Lapidus.

For now, the Programming Committee would like your thoughts on panel/session/workshop topics. We also welcome any offers to help with organizing.

Submit your proposals to:

Lightning Round Session: Kasia Leousis, Architecture & Art Librarian, Auburn University [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Discussion Panel:  Hannah Bennett, Head, Architecture Library, Princeton University [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Workshop:  Gilda Santana [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

I look forward to seeing you all in April!

Gilda

Gilda Santana, Vice-President / 2014 Conference Organizer
Head, Architecture & Art Information Resources & Services
1223 Dickinson Drive
University of Miami
Coral Gables, FL 33146