Hello Heather,

Not sure if you got the email that the plates (as opposed to the figures) are there.  Don’t know how  Angela found them short of clicking on page after page as the Illustrations list gives no page number!  I tried keywording “Plate XX” in the search box to no avail!

I like your idea of putting the burden of determining whether or not all illustrations from the print book are included in its ebook version on the ebook package publisher.  Oxford ebooks are notorious for leaving out images—their rep in Pasadena told me Oxford is a non-profit academic publisher that can’t afford the costs involved in providing the images.

Ruth Thomas, Mugar Library, Boston University

From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gendron, Heather Hope
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2013 3:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] ebook colour plates--The Gothic Screen--maybe an ARLIS clearinghouse of ebooks minus plates?

Sorry to say we don’t have this yet or I would check for you.  However, you bring up an important issue and I’m curious to know if other institutions are negotiating/discussing this with e-book publishers.   We would like to have data about incompleteness available at point of purchase and we’re discussing it with Oxford University Press now, in relation to our TRLN pilot program that uses Oxford’s e-books platform.  http://www.trln.org/committee/CollectionCouncil/TaskGroups/oup/index.htm  The idea being, for instance, libraries could exclude incomplete titles from their approval plans and restrict those titles to slip plans.

Heather Gendron

Art Librarian

Sloane Art Library

UNC Chapel Hill