Dear ARLIS,

We launched the website for the second installment of our MoMA Library
exhibition of special invitation cards and event flyers from our ephemera
files.

http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2013/please_come_show_part2/

The materials featured this time range from ca.1980 to the present. Please
come to show! if you are in the neighborhood. Our exhibitions can be found
in the mezzanine of the Cullman Research and Education Building at 4 W.
54th St in NYC. You can enter from there for free or through the museum
when visiting.

and a little descriptive text from the show for those interested...

This second part of the exhibition features materials from the Franklin
Furnace Archive and the Political Art Documentation and Distribution
(PAD/D) Archive, which are housed in the MoMA Library. These New York-based
archives developed important ephemera files that included announcements for
exhibitions and events, especially the active scene of alternative spaces
from the late 1970s to early 1990s. These collections were formed by the
work of independent artists and art workers like Martha Wilson and Lucy
Lippard, among many others. The two archives, together with the materials
from the MoMA Library artist’s files from this time, comprise a vivid
picture of the New York art community as well as broader international
activities. More recent materials characterize the persistence of
innovative print invitations within the context of our shift to online
communication. Part of the interest in doing an exhibition now of special
invitations and flyers is related to the recognition that this phenomenon
of the art invitation has changed. As libraries and archives actively work
towards collecting digital content and as galleries and museums phase out
their printed invitations, it is a fitting moment to reflect on the various
forms the printed invitation has taken in contemporary art practices.

best! David

--
David Senior
Bibliographer