Hello Folks,

I'm trying to help a fellow librarian with an art question. I've found references to "transparent painting" but it's not clear to me what exactly it is.  I did find a reference to a transparent painting used in an 18th century set design which might tie into her research, but I'm still not sure what it is. Are there any experts out there who would know?

"I have a question about art!  In doing research on nineteenth-century German music, I keep coming across the term "Transparentgemälde."  A transparent painting? Have you run across this before?  Is it a commonly found type of painting?"

You can reply to me off-list. Thanks!

Karen Bouchard
Brown University

--
Karen A. Bouchard
Scholarly Resources Librarian for Art and Architecture

Phone: (401) 863-3218

http://libguides.brown.edu/profile.php?uid=56435

Images at Brown blog, latest entry: https://sites.google.com/a/brown.edu/image-collections-in-the-brown-library/new-entries/fungames

Tweeting all about art, architecture, music & more at: @KbouArtMusic

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero.