As long as the correct title appears on the Title Page, it meets the  library criterion.  As long as the title appears on the spine (in a font large enough to be read from a couple of feet away), it meets at least minimum patron standards.  As for the cover, I'm guessing an illustration has been chosen that the curator simply can't imagine being "marred" by text.

That's why you need a "final voice" designated for the cover.  Authors almost never have control of the covers of their books.  Of course, I think the argument can be made that exhibition catalogs aren't like mass market paperbacks.
I'm glad it's not my decision.
--shannon