Dear ARLIS/NA,

I am working with Lisa Macklin in Emory's Scholarly Communications Office exploring options for making a photo collection available online.

Many of these photos are orphan works.  Of course, we will seek permission when we know the photographer and the photograph is still protected by copyright.  But, seeking permission for many of these photos just isn't an option.

Can anyone point to examples of digitized photo collections owned by either a library or museum which are being made available on the web under an assertion of fair use?

Please reply directly to me, Kim Collins, at [log in to unmask], and I will summarize for the list,  if I get some answers.

Thanks, as always, for your assistance.
Kim

Kim Collins
Robert W Woodruff Library
Emory University

and

Lisa A. Macklin, MLS, JD
Director, Scholarly Communications Office
Emory University Libraries
540 Asbury Circle
Atlanta, GA 30322

prohibited.