Scholars Resource would like to draw your attention to a new Image Set:

CDR-1282: SR Set: The Common Folk
The speedy acceptance of digital images was lauded as "Not only do images
contribute major intellectual content, they also bring aesthetic and
emotional impact to the electronic environment."(Michael Ester, 1994) and
Charles Rhyne's article on "Images as Evidence in Art History and Related
Disciplines,"(1997). Images of paintings depicting common folk in their
environment--often by less well-known artists--give us a glimpse--the only
one---into life of the common man before the advent of photography. What
happened behind the windows in those houses visible in the background of an
Altar painting, a cottage or city dwelling? How much has really changed in
our daily lives, aside from the technology with which we document our lives?
These images are evidence of times gone by and common folk who lived,
laughed and loved, as we do today. (June 2013)

225 images may be viewed at
https://www.scholarsresource.com/browse/image_set/949

--
Renate Wiedenhoeft