Guide to Markers¹ Marks and Monograms

Hi

At the Pasadena conference I attended the revived Decorative Arts SIG at
which plans were drawn up to compile what would be a very useful online
guide to sources of makers¹ marks and monograms.  Those at the meeting were
asked to send in suggestions for the guide.  Unfortunately, I didn¹t get the
name/email address of the person who was coordinating the guide.  If you are
the person who has taken up the challenge of collecting this data, you might
like to take these references to be going on with:

Print sources

> Stained glass marks & monograms. Compiled by Joyce Little. Edited by Angela
> Goedicke and Margaret Washbourn (London: National Association of Decorative
> and Fine Art Societies, 2002 145pp.)
>
> This is little known, however, it really is an invaluable as a source of
> monograms on British stained glass designers and makers.  It is (or was)
> available from the NADFAS Church Recorders, NADFAS House, 8 Guilford Street,
> London WC1N 1DA [as far as I can find, it has no ISBN no.]
>

> Haslam, Malcolm.  Marks & monograms: the decorative arts 1880-1960. London:
> Collins & Brown, revised and enlarged edition, 1995
>
> Contains the marks of around 2,000 designers and makers in the decorative arts
> in Britain, Europe and North America.  Includes basic biographical information
> on all the artists

Free-to access sites:

> Makers' Marks on British & Irish Silver  http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/
>
> Makers marks listed by the major Assay Offices in the UK.  Contains thousands
> of entries. Indispensible as a source for researching British silver
>

> Copenhagen porcelain and art pottery from 1890s
> http://www.jamiri.dk/artist.htm
>
> Contains makers¹ marks

> Bing & Grøndahl   http://www.jamiri.dk/Bing-Grondahl-mark.htm
>
> Contains makers¹ marks

> Sèvres
> http://www.ceramiques-contemporaines-sevres.fr/outils/page_outils_bio.php
>
> Contains makers¹ marks

> Italian Ceramics [manufacturers]
> http://www.archivioceramica.com/HOME/Index%20Fabbriche.htm

> Compiled by Roberto Conti. Contains brief histories of nearly 1,000 ceramics
> factories operating in Italy in the 20th century with their marks. An
> invaluable source on Italian ceramists. [Text in Italian].

> Italian Ceramics [individual makers]
> http://www.archivioceramica.com/HOME/Index%20Ceram.htm
>
> Compiled by Roberto Conti. A companion to the above site. Contains brief
> profiles of 2,750 ceramic artists active in Italy in the 20th century with
> their marks. An invaluable source on Italian ceramics manufacturers. [Text in
> Italian].

All the best

Chris

Chris Mees
Editor ­ designinform [soon to be re-named Arts:Search]
E: [log in to unmask]