Hello,

My museum currently uses barcodes to track objects. We do ongoing inventories of our collections where we take a hand-held scanner, scan the barcode for a location, scan multiple barcodes for objects in that location, download the scanner data to a desktop computer, and upload this data (a .txt file) to our CMS database. This workflow works but it requires multiple steps during which data may be lost and time isn't used as efficiently as possible. We are researching how to go from this multi-step, multi-device method to a wireless workflow where a scanner would communicate through Bluetooth to a tablet and seamlessly update object location information. I've reached out to the museum community and haven't found anyone doing this. Is anyone in the library community working this way? If so, I am interested in your workflow and the hardware and software you utilize.

Many thanks,

Cris Baczek

Collections Photographer & Digital Media Producer
Utah Museum of Fine Arts
t: 801.585.0125