Collective Wisdom,

I cast this out to your helpful spirits.  One of my faculty is seeking an article by Edward Wormley that ran in Home Furnishings Daily in April.  Here's her request:

I'm writing with a request I hope you can assist with.  In the April 1953 issue of House Beautiful, influential editor Elizabeth Gordon published the now-infamous essay, "The Threat to the Next America."  That article is easy to find, as are most of its fiercely polarized responses.  What I cannot locate is a rebuttal by designer Edward Wormley that ran in Home Furnishings Daily.  A person close to Wormley reports the piece "ran the next day," which most likely puts its publication date around 1 April 1953 and most certainly in the window between 15 March and 15 April.

None of our databases index Home Furnishings Daily back to 1953--from the description in Ulrich's, I'm not sure there is yet a database that does.  The periodical also does not seem widely held.

If someone can write back to me with the citation, that would be glorious as my faculty member would happily request it via ILL.  If you can magically produce the item, my faculty member and I will find a way to suitably and enthusiastically thank you.

Thank you and best regards,

Rebecca

Rebecca Feind     408.808.2007
Associate Librarian, Dr. Martin Luther King. Jr. Library
Liaison to Art, Design, and Philosophy
San Jose State University     One Washington Square San Jose CA 95192-0028

http://libguides.sjsu.edu/ArtDesignResources
http://libguides.sjsu.edu/philosophy