Dear Colleagues,

I'm not (yet) a member of the listserv  Arlis, but I've received through American colleagues the sad news about the closure of UCLA VRC. It is sad both for the colleagues involved and for the collection itself. This is the right time to remind you of an initiative of the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz that was already spread some time ago: the "Florence Declaration. Recommendations for the Preservation of Analogue Photo Archives".

The aim of the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz - Max-Planck-Institut in issuing this Declaration in German, English, Italian, French and Polish (more translations are welcome) is to promote the fundamental significance of analogue photo archives for the future of the humanities and social sciences. Only the integration of analogue and digital formats can guarantee the sound conservation of the photographic heritage for future studies and at the same time creatively fulfil the potential of digital instruments.

Analogue photo archives are an integral part of our cultural heritage. The purpose of the "Florence Declaration" is to raise public awareness of this. It is aimed not only at photographic collections, university and scientific research, but also at decision-makers at the social and political levels. Every photographic collection and research project on photography as well as the people working in them are concerned.

The Florence Declaration can be read on the website of the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz http://www.khi.fi.it/en/photothek/florencedeclaration/index.html and subscribed with an email to [log in to unmask] On our website you will also find a regularly updated List of Subscribers.

Please subscribe and contribute to the diffusion of the "Florence Declaration".

Thank you and best wishes,
Costanza Caraffa

Dr. Costanza Caraffa
Leiterin / Direttrice
Photothek des Kunsthistorischen Instituts in Florenz
- Max-Planck-Institut
Palazzo Grifoni Budini Gattai
Via dei Servi 51, I-50122 Florenz
Tel. 0039 - 055 - 216707