Dear ARLISians,

I’d like to make you aware of the new book documenting 3 decades of the work of my friend, Austin artist Steve Brudniak: The Science of Surrealism: Assemblage Sculpture of Steve Brudniak (Austin: Merrid Zone, 2013). More about it here: http://brudniakbook.com

Some of you will have encountered Steve as a rotoscoped version of himself in Richard Linklater’s film Waking Life. One of the book’s many contributors is Wiley Wiggins, the protagonist of that film. Steve himself has done the lion’s share of writing for the book.

Steve’s Astrogeneris Mementos (2008) were “the first assemblage sculptures ever to exhibit in outer space in the first art show on the International Space Station” (quoting from the book).

It is a fascinating and beautiful body of work, incorporating everything from artificial lightning to mummified squirrels. I first saw much of it at (no kidding!) 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue (in Austin), more recently at his current show at Avis Frank Gallery in Houston.

Craig

Craig Bunch

Assistant Librarian

McNay Art Museum Library

210-805-1727 (voice)

210-824-0218 (fax)

Spring 2013 Exhibitions

Fiesta, Fête, Festival:

Selections from the Tobin Collection

January 16 | June 9, 2013

Printed in San Antonio

January 23 | May 12, 2013

Majority Rules:A Decade of Contemporary Art Acquisitions

January 23 | September 15, 2013

Leonard Brooks of San Miguel de Allende

January 30 | May 19, 2013

Real/Surreal: Selections from the Whitney Museum of American Art

February 13 | May 19, 2013

The Human Face and Form

February 13 | May 19, 2013