Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Some of you picked up an interesting brochure from me in Pasadena, but what follows will be new to most of you.

The Athenaeum in La Jolla is a music and art library founded in 1899, one of sixteen subscription libraries remaining in the U.S., and a little-known treasure. Since 1991 it has actively collected artists' books. See: http://www.ljathenaeum.org/home.html, then click on "Collections" and "Artists' Book Collection."

In particular, the Athenaeum has focused on building full runs of the books of certain artists. Once an artist's work is complete, the staff publishes a small volume illustrating and describing each title. So far the following have been issued:

No. 1. Ed Ruscha. ISBN 0-9744804-8-7. 54 pp. 2010
No. 2. Ida Applebroog. ISBN 0-9744804-9-5. 73 pp. 2011
No. 3. Allen Ruppersberg. ISBN 978-0-9828289-0-8. 69 pp. 2012

John Baldessari and Bruce Nauman are currently in production. The collections of Allan Kaprow, Mel Bochner, Sol Lewitt, Lawrence Weiner, and Mark Dion are approaching completion or under way.

Please order directly from the Athenaeum, not me.

Orders and requests for the descriptive brochure may be directed to:

Maura Walters <[log in to unmask]>

Other inquiries and correspondence should go to the director:

Erika Torri <[log in to unmask]>

If your travels bring you to San Diego or within striking distance, The Athenaeum and several other cultural institutions within a half mile would be worth a day of your time. Those include the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego at 700 Prospect Street, the La Jolla Historical Society in an original Scripps family cottage at 780 Prospect, a group of Irving Gill buildings across the street, an extraordinary private map museum, several good contemporary art and photograph galleries, and three antiquarian book dealers and a map dealer in my building and across the street. Good restaurants abound, too, and we'll be glad to see you.

Cordially,

Larry
--
Laurence McGilvery
Member, Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America

(858) 454-4443
www.mcgilvery.com