I hope there are others out there who will join in me in commenting on just how important our exhibitors are, not only to our conference but as colleagues and mentors.

Many years ago (decades!) I was placed in a position that I had little experience in; running arts acquisitions.  I had co-workers and colleagues in other libraries that helped me learn what had to be done but no real basis for understanding the big picture.  I didn't know how approval plans worked or how to manage the annual serial subscription cycle.  My teachers, my mentors were the vendors we purchased material from.  They gave me an education that I value to this day.  I am happy to call many of them 'friend' and look forward to seeing them in Pasadena.

What you do may not be acquisitions, it is still worthwhile to visit the vendors your institution does business with, or even the ones they don't!, introduce yourself, learn a bit about how things work.  It may end up helping you in a future position.

Dawn Henney

From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Norris, Nancy
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Pasadena: Visit the Exhibits

A Top Tip for All Pasadena Conference Goers<http://arlisnapasadena.wordpress.com/2013/03/22/top-tips-for-all-pasadena-conference-goers/>: Visit the Exhibits
Veteran conference-goers always make a point of visiting the Exhibits to browse the products and services that are essential to our work.  They recognize the value added service that many vendors supply and know that the Exhibits Hall is a great place to discover new print materials, e-resources, educational opportunities, and so much more.

Even if you do not buy items for your library (or you don't make the final decision) still stop by, say hello, and ask about their products and services. Take the time to introduce yourself and get to know the individuals and companies our exhibitors represent. Discover how they can enhance your own knowledge and understanding of the art library world. Exhibitors are a cornerstone of our conference and it is important for each of us to take this opportunity to visit the exhibits and thank the exhibitors for their continued support of ARLIS/NA.  Exhibitors not only pay to be in the exhibits hall, many of them are also conference, research, and travel award sponsors, as well as fellow members of ARLIS/NA.  We could not put on our annual conference without their active participation in our organization.

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

Nancy Norris<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Pasadena 2013 Publicity Chair

Conference website<http://www.arlisna.org/pasadena2013/> - Blog<http://arlisnapasadena.wordpress.com/> - Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ArlisNaPasadena> - Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/arlispasadena/> - Twitter<https://twitter.com/ARLIS_Pasadena%20%20%20hashtag#arlis2013>

Mail submissions to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/join.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.arlisna.org Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>