Dear ARLIS/NA Colleagues,

I am forwarding an invitation below from Evelin Morgenstern, the Managing Director of Initiative Fortbildung für wissenschaftliche Spezialbibliotheken und verwandte Einrichtungen e.V. (“Initiative for Continuing Education in Academic and Research-Oriented Special Libraries and Related Institutions."), Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin, to an upcoming colloquium that will take place at the Kunstbibliothek –Staatliche Museen zu Berlin on June 13 and 14, 2013.  Several ARLIS/NA members will be featured speakers at the colloquium, entitled ‘From Wunderkammer to E-Resource: Promoting Art Information Across Borders in the 21st Century.’

The colloquium, sponsored by BID (Bibliothek & Information International), Initiative Fortbildung für wiss. Spezial-bibliotheken u. verwandte Einrichtungen e.V., Checkpoint Charlie Foundation, and the Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Kunst- und Museumsbibliotheken (AKMB)—an ARLIS/NA affiliate organization-- is the result of ongoing communication and cooperation that took place following the successful exchanges between German and American art libraries through ARLIS/NA-sponsored study tours in Germany and the United States. I am very pleased that I and eleven colleagues from U.S.  libraries that hosted German visitors in 2012 have been invited to the colloquium and to a five-day visit to libraries in Berlin and the surrounding region. Additionally, I will be very honored to receive the 2013 John Jacob Astor Award in Library Studies and Information Science during the first day of the colloquium on June 13.

Evelin and I welcome ARLIS/NA members to come to Berlin and join us at this two-day colloquium that will bring together experts in both countries to engage in discussion about issues that we as art librarians are facing on both continents.  While we realize that traveling to Berlin may not be an easy option for ARLIS/NA members, if you can make it part of your summer travel plans, you will be given a warm welcome. To register, please contact Evelin Morgenstern ([log in to unmask]) by May 31st. The Colloquium Program is attached to this message.

With best regards,

Deborah Kempe

President, ARLIS/NA

web  Facebook  Linked In

Serving art information professionals since 1972.  Join ARLIS/NA today! arlisna.org/join.html

/scripts/wa.exe?A3=ind1304&L=ARLIS-L&E=base64&P=6719886&B=--_005_A2FA2DA3A2AC554AA1A1AB153AAAE45534D591B8Mail01frickorg_&T=image%2Fpng;%20name=%22image001.png%22&N=image001.pngI will see you there!

****Message from Evelin Morgenstern***

To our colleagues in Germany and the U.S.,

Some of you may already be aware of the genesis of this colloquium: Until now, the John Jacob Astor Award recipients have been invited to express their gratitude by giving a workshop in their own special field of librarianship. This year’s recipient – Deborah Kempe - has decided to go much further:

She will, escorted by a number of distinguished colleagues, come to Berlin and all of them – together with their German counterparts -  are going to talk to us and initiate discussion, during a two-day American-German colloquium, about the issues currently faced by art and museum librarians on both sides of the Atlantic

In 2012, an invitation from ARLIS/NA to participate in a study tour to New York and Washington – a-once-in-a-life-time-experience – had necessarily to be addressed to just a small group of German professionals from the arts and museums scene.

This year’s colloquium, by contrast, offers every one of you, American or German,  an opportunity to take part. You will all be able to learn first-hand  about the focus topics during last year’s legendary study tour and share the inspiration of peer-to-peer discussions - in other words, you will be given a  taste of that professional exchange which in recent years has proved so valuable.

The Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Kunst- und Museumsbibliotheken (AKMB) has taken its commitment to the colloquium to heart and is going to provide not just excellent German presenters, but very much more.

The joint efforts of all of the sponsors have made it possible for the Checkpoint Charlie Foundation and the Initiative Fortbildung … e.V. to extend warm invitations to American and German colleagues to participate in this colloquium free of charge!  We hope that a large number of you will seize this unique opportunity to be part of such an innovative event and look forward to welcoming you to Berlin.

Evelin Morgenstern

Geschäftsführung

Initiative Fortbildung für wiss. Spezial-

bibliotheken u. verwandte Einrichtungen e.V.

c/o ZLB

Postanschrift:

Postfach 610179

10922 Berlin

and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in
reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer.