When I read the posts and ponder back in time, the larger issue here is (now, or is becoming) the changing (position of and attitude towards) the physical book in our culture. I think books can, in a sense, be compared to horses. When Henry Ford started marketing cars, most folks no longer had need for a horse, so only people who truly loved horses continued to pay to keep them. And Amish, who cared not to use the related tractor in their endeavors. Our job, as well as being caretakers of books and providers and facilitators of informational flow, is to educate the current and future generations about what a book is and why it still matters. This includes curators, directors, students, docents, visitors and anyone else we come in contact with. We need to educate  about the utility of the physical book and it’s firm place in maintaining informational balance.

Really, it is largely a cultural issue. When you’re trying to sell ipads, i-whatevers and internet services, holding a book in your hand and extolling it’s virtues won’t increase your sales. Schools use laptops and ipads now to replace books, for instance. There’s a whole generation now who, well, who never got to ride in a horse-drawn wagon, folks, though they may have seen one somewhere or stumbled over the old, dusty carriage in the back shed on occasion. Maybe mom or dad had a library but they were to busy texting and listening to their iPod to go in and get the magic, and mom and dad were too busy working to teach the lesson? Whatever the reason,…

So it is likely that Directors and bean counters will continue this move towards marginalization as their own, direct experience with doing research in physical books disappears or becomes minimal. If you want to sell horse feed, you’d better start convincing people that having horses is vital and still matters. Ask yourself what is the difference between a book and a horse. Sounds silly, until your horse gets sent to the glue factory…

As I have watched this trend develop, I’ve have been proposing taking books to the customer. Set up reading areas within the museum or institution where visitors can HANDLE books and search inside them. Make these stacks accessible and encourage visitors to walk up to them and interact with them. Shrewdly create displays or exhibits where relevant information inside a book CANNOT be found on the internet! Don’t give visitors the impression that your entire library is part of the larger exhibit, something to be observed but not touched.

For what it is worth, that is my impression. And I wrote it that way ‘cause I can never remember whether to put an apostrophe in “what is” or “that is” in those uses, and like it that way. The trouble with knowing too much is there is too little room for new learning!

Cheers, and have a great time in Pasadena!

Kevin Mullen, Bookseller