From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alison Huftalen
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] FW: New Schedule

Yes, many many thoughts.  This is what I am in the thick of right now.  I have had 2 of the positions in my library eliminated since December and while everything is due to budget, there is a larger issue at hand, and that is why sink money into the library when it doesn't get a lot of use?  Note, this use is directly compared to the number of visitors who come through the museum.  We've always documented our visits and use, but it doesn't matter, the numbers will always be too low, and they are compared to arbitrary numbers, administration just sees it as a percentage of the number of people who walk through the museum's doors, nothing a traditional museum library as I see it could ever live up to.  We have a unique situation in that we are also connected with a local university art department and serve as their departmental library.  We likely get much more use than your average museum library (also, we have regular public hours and part of our collection circulates), and that is still no where near enough to warrant the budget that is provided to sustain the library.   My director does not wish to eliminate the library, but he does want to figure out a way to "activate" the library more and bring it into the regular museum goers path.  How we do that is what I (hopefully along with museum colleagues) need to figure out.  Programming isn't going to be enough (we have an active book club and are working on a few more things).  I don't disagree with the mindset, or the goals of my administration, it's just quite a lot to live up to, the expectation of potentially major innovation with a diminished staff and still needing (for now) to maintain our regular public services and collection.  In addition, our museum has recently gone through a major organizational restructuring, and the Library has moved from being under a Collections Branch to being under an Information/Systems branch, so a new supervisor (head of IT) and new relationships to foster.

This is just my short response, my head has been wrapped around this constantly for the last few months, I hope to talk to some museum library colleagues at ARLIS more about some of the drastic changes happening in our libraries.  I have a lot of thoughts, ideas and fears about my library's future.

-Alison

Alison L. Huftalen
Head Librarian

419.255.8000 ext. 7386

Toledo Museum of Art
PO Box 1013
Toledo, Ohio 43697

>>> Julian Woodruff <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> 4/10/2013 6:37 PM >>>
I am forwarding this exchange to the list to see if everyone in the museum library world (at least) is meeting with the same attitude. Note that my supe doesn’t mention use by museum staff (although I readily admit that there’s not much of that, either).
Let me know if you have any thoughts. (I did see & am pondering the recent conversation on library book clubs.)
Best,
Julian D. Woodruff
Librarian
Gerald Hansen Library