               Los Angeles County Museum of Art and Watts Tower Tour

                 Thursday April 25, 2013 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

Synopsis: Depart from the Sheraton at 9:00 am and at 10:00 am arrive at our first destination the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. After lunch on your own, either at the museum or sampling the exciting choices offered by L.A.’s famous food trucks lining Wilshire Boulevard across from the museum. We depart LACMA at 1:30 and proceed to the landmark Watts Towers. We arrive there at 3:00 pm. The tour lasts 30 minutes and you can walk around the site or visit the exhibitions at the Watts Towers Art Center which closes at 4:00. Our tour bus arrives back at the Sheraton at 5:00 pm. All this for only $110

[log in to unmask]" alt="Kubrick_2001"> Stanley Kubrick Exhibit

After viewing the Kubrick exhibition (one hour), there will be a presentation by Frank D. Preusser, PhD, Senior Conservation Scientist, Los Angeles County Museum of Art Conservation Center, on the conservation challenges of Watts Tower.  Free time allotted or participants to explore other LACMA exhibitions on their own. Lunch is on your own either at the museum or you can sample some of L.A.’s famous food trucks lining Wilshire Boulevard across from the museum.

Watts Towers

[log in to unmask]" alt="http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4896963681453872&pid=1.7&w=167&h=135&c=7&rs=1">[log in to unmask]" alt="http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5006790289522707&pid=1.7&w=118&h=152&c=7&rs=1">[log in to unmask]">

The towers are one of nine folk art sites listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and are a National Historic Landmark, a California Historical Landmark and a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument.

Tour Accessibility:  “Moderate.” The LACMA exhibition is very large. There is some seating in the exhibition. There are steps up to the exhibition but also elevator access. Wheelchairs are available for anyone who may need them. There is no wheelchair accessibility at Watts Tower.

Nancy Norris, Pasadena 2013 Publicity Chair

Conference website  Blog  Facebook  Pinterest  Twitter