We are pleased to announce an update that will eliminate the need for Java in the ARTstor Digital Library. In the near future, single image downloads will be delivered in zip files.

ARTstor has been using Java for downloads of individual images, but recently the U.S. Department of Homeland Security began recommending that Java be disabled due to security concerns. After our update, users who download single image files will receive a zip file that contains a JPEG image and an HTML file with the associated metadata. In addition to removing the need for Java, using zip will allow ARTstor to pursue other feature enhancements, such as additional options for image group downloads.

For some users, mainly those on PCs, it will be necessary to install software such as 7Zip to unzip their downloads. Please do take this time to make users at you institution aware of this impending change. We will of course be providing updated help documentation.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact User Services at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Giovanni Garcia-Fenech
Communications Manager
ARTstor
151 East 61st Street