-----Original Message-----
From: AUTOCAT [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Maben, Michael M
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2013 10:16 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ACAT] Cataloging in the news

I was reading the Guardian Weekly issue from February 8, and there was a story about the stealing of books from libraries in Italy, specifically from the Girolamini library in Naples.  The article said that "thousands of rare and antique books were last year found to have disappeared....The allegations of theft from the Girolamini library surfaced last year, when a visiting art historian, Tomaso Montanari, found the institution in disarray, with precious volumes piled up in no particular order alongside fizzy drink cans and other detritus."  The part that especially caught my attention was the last paragraph: "Estimates of how many books were stolen vary, because a large proportion of volumes in the prestigious collection were not catalogued.  But investigators have spoken of a total that could exceed 4,000.  They include works by Galileo Galilei and, according to the investigators, a 1518 edition of Thomas More's Utopia."

It is tragic what happened, but I am glad to see the value of our work recognized.

--Michael

Michael Maben
Law Library
Indiana University Maurer School of Law
Bloomington, Indiana 47405

"There are a lot more important things in life than baseball.  I just haven't found out what they are yet."  --Marty Schupak

AUTOCAT quoting guide: http://www.cwu.edu/~dcc/Autocat/copyright.html
E-mail AUTOCAT listowners:             [log in to unmask]
Search AUTOCAT archives:  http://listserv.syr.edu/archives/autocat.html
  By posting messages to AUTOCAT, the author does not cede copyright